First, let me make sure to credit the originator of this great project: http://mypoppet.com.au/2011/05/how-to-scrappy-felt-ipad-cover.html . It's really terrific and is the center picture below. But, I was also inspired by this Garnet Hill catalog cover and this blanket and, frankly, everything done by artist Crispina ffrench (http://crispina.com/).
My plan, as is always my plan, was to use up some wool scraps. I had a new ipad and my charming puppy had pulled it off my desk, cracking the screen. So then I had a new ipad with a cracked screen. Got the screen replaced thanks to AppleCare and now I needed a case.
I liked the way My Poppet alternated her rows of wool. They look like brickwork and I think it serves the purpose of offsetting the seams, making for a stronger fabric. When I used to do my purses with 3X3" squares of wool, the corners of the wool all came together and I have had issues with seams coming apart right at that corner join. Here's a couple of my purses. I had a great run with these, making them for probably 5 years. But, I tired of the sheer volume of sweaters required to give a good mix to the bags. Most of my bags had squares cut from about 15 different sweaters. That's a lot of bulk and storage.
So, after that phase, I began making the fingerless gloves that I've posted about in the past. We won't go into those again. This time (January of last year) I wanted to use all solid pieces of wool and was the most inspired by the Garnet Hill cover where the colors segue from blue into gold. So, I got out all my scraps and went to work. I knew I wanted a rectangle so the brickwork seaming would be straightforward. I grabbed a bunch of wool scraps and also delved into heavier weight cashmere just to fill in the color gaps. Naturally, I had more than I needed.
After layout, I went to the machine and starting sewing them all together. My Poppet used a wide zig zag on her case but I've got a great stitch pattern on my machine that I've found is perfect for sewing wool together. There's a closeup of it below. Kind of a honeycomb pattern that is super secure.
So here's the finished case. You can see a close-up of my stitch pattern below. I also used a magnetic snap for a closure and chose not to line the bag. In retrospect, it would have been a little more substantial and sturdy with a lining, but I like it as it is. I love the colorway. The two sides of the case have totally different personalities and I really have no preference one way or the other. I am partial to that gold, though...