Thursday, July 8, 2010

It's done!!

The fruit rug is, at last, complete.  I took it up to our lake house this weekend and got the binding sewn on.  Right now, I have the rug hanging on a dowel over our fireplace screen.  The plan is to hang it over the fireplace once our addition is complete in October.  In the meantime, I'm just enjoying looking at it.

Many lessons learned on this one. 
  1. Greens can be tricky.  This rug had about 5 different types of leaves and distinguishing between them was daunting.  I'm still not 100% happy with the pineapple leaves (a little too dark) but I'm moving on.
  2. Borders can be fun!  This border gave me an opportunity to use every last scrap of lots of random yellows.  I still have lots of the gold, but that's a color I use all the time.
  3. Remember your color wheel!  The urn took 3 tries.  But, with all the red and yellow in the rug, blue became the obvious choice.
I'm still plugging away at the chicken rug.  One chicken to go and lots of border, unfortunately.  I've put it aside for awhile because I don't have a lot of time in the evening to work.  After baseball season is over, I'll pick it back up.  In the meantime, I need to get some knitting going!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! The rug is amazing! I can't wait to see the finished chicken. (and FYI, the pineapple leaves work fine).

    ReplyDelete